Tuesday, May 5, 2009

I've got to do something

I'm watching my life more than I'm participating in it.

I realized this a while ago but the thought is starting to hit critical mass. There's nothing like having an active 4 year old to make you think that. Their energy will put yours to shame even if you are fit and active. I'm not either.

Today was that first time I've known my weight in probably a couple of years. It was hard to find out what it was. If you are in the mid-300s or higher you probably know why. Very few scales work over 300 and almost none on the regular market over 330. I had to wait for a visit to the clinic to get my current weight.

I weigh 366 pounds. At about 5' 11", that gives me a BMI of 51. 30 or higher is obese. 366, obese? Ya think? Being that big doesn't bother me to be honest. In America kids don't point and make fun of you. Not these days with obesity on the rise anyhow. I thought was was probably 375 so even at only 9 lbs lower 366 was actually a bit of a relief.

The SIZE doesn't bother me in itself. It's all the other stuff caused by that weight/size that bothers me. Being winded after a relatively slow walk around the yard. Being REALLY winded after chasing my son through the house playing. Needing to get a "seatbelt extender" on any flight. Pressure on my knees any time I'm standing/walking. Knowing I shouldn't even bother to get on a roller-coaster at a theme park. Needing to sit at a table at Subway since I won't fit in a booth. I can't imagine what it's like for someone 450 or 500 pounds.

I'll be forty later this year. Honestly that doesn't bother me either. I do recognize that it won't be easy turning this fat guy into someone I recognize from years ago. And that every year I wait will make it that much harder.

So no more waiting.

I also need to thank Dave. I won't give his last name. We made a weight bet on 4/19 in TX. We agreed that when we got back to Wisconsin we'd weigh in then keep in contact until this fall. At that time we'll compare weight loss by percent of initial body weight (ala Biggest Loser.) The winner gets $10 per percent they beat the other one by (max of $100.)

Its definately not about the money. It's more about ego and competitiveness. But bottom line it's about losing weight and improving our lives.

Today's weigh in was just the start of getting the ball rolling. I made an appointment to see a doctor on the 20th. That's the next time I'll know how much I weigh.


No comments:

Post a Comment